Klik hier om deze pagina in het Nederlands te lezen.
It is always saddening to hear people say that, however much they feel sorry for the poor population in Africa, the little they can contribute can in no way be of help. Also, there is a group of people who are convinced that helping in Africa is useless, because any money sent there will just disappear without anything being achieved with it. In reality a lot can be achieved when many small contributions are brought together. Of course it is most important that any raised money is used in responsible ways and we from HWMCO-Nederland & NiCA Foundation stand for that. Please read about our principles below:
- A Chinese proverb says, “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.” Translated to HWMCO-Nederland & NiCA Foundation, it means that our strategy is to use raised funds to finance facilities and tools in order to build self-sustainability and independence. This implies that we will not finance daily costs that have to be made to keep a project running; it is at that point where we expect from communities that they take responsibility by initiating activities that will help making an investment successful; that way they contribute to their own development which will help them to grow independent.
- In all that we do to realize our goals, we ask involvement and commitment of the local population. We ask them to contribute their part whenever that can reasonably be expected. We should, for example, not have to spend raised funds on hiring expensive manpower when the same jobs can be done for a very friendly price, or voluntarily, as a return service by the local population that we are helping. Any raised funds that we don’t need to spend on unnecessarily expensive manpower, can be invested in a next goal to bring development. Joining hands is an essential condition to success.
- We invest in broad goals from which big groups of children can benefit; in other words, we do not sponsor individual children.
- As a matter of course, all (board) members from HWMCO-Nederland & NiCA-Foundation are unpaid. Also, whenever someone from HWMCO-Nederland travels to Uganda on behalf of the foundation, none of the travel and accommodation costs will be paid from donated money. It will always be financed from personal resources. All this is to guarantee that the maximum from received donations will benefit the goals we are committed to.
- As the joint team of HWMCO-Nederland & NiCA Foundation, have made it a spearhead that we will not tolerate any kind of corruption. Unfortunately there is still a lot of corruption in Uganda. Corruption exists at all levels and in all sections of the population and seriously hinders the country’s development. The population, in particular the poor population that we offer help, is structurally the victim of this.
HWMCO-Nederland & NiCA Foundation
‘We Fight Poverty by Bringing Development.’
(Last updated September 2019)