Klik hier om deze pagina in het Nederlands te lezen.
- A Chinese proverb says, “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.” Translated to HWMCO-Nederland and NiCA Foundation, it means that our strategy is to use raised funds to finance facilities and tools in order to build self-sustainability and independence. In other words, we prefer to invest in broad goals from which big groups of children can benefit. This implies that we do not sponsor individual children.
- In all that we do to realize our goals, we ask involvement and commitment of the local population. We ask them to contribute their part whenever that can reasonably be expected. We should, for example, not have to spend donated money on hiring expensive manpower when the same jobs can be done as a return service by the local population that we are helping. It is all about ‘joining hands’, both with us and with each other.
- It is always saddening to hear people say that, however much they feel sorry for the poor population in Africa, the little they can contribute can in no way be of help. Also, there is a group of people who are convinced that helping in Africa is useless, because any money sent there will just disappear without anything being achieved with it. In reality a lot can be achieved when many small contributions are brought together. Of course it is most important that any raised money is used in responsible ways and we from both HWMCO-Nederland and NiCA Foundation stand for that.
- As a matter of course, all (board) members from both HWMCO-Nederland and NiCA-Foundation are unpaid. Also, whenever someone from HWMCO-Nederland travels to Uganda on behalf of the Foundation, none of the travel and accommodation costs will be paid from donated money. It will always be financed from personal resources. All this is to guarantee that the maximum from received donations will benefit the goals we are committed to.
- Last but not least, HWMCO-Nederland as well as NiCA Foundation, have made it a spearhead that we will not tolerate any kind of corruption. Unfortunately, there is still a lot of corruption in Uganda, which hinders the countries’ overall development in serious ways. The population, especially the poor population that we are helping, suffers structurally from it.
HWMCO-Nederland & NiCA Foundation
‘We Fight Poverty by Bringing Development.’
(Last updated May 2019)